Thursday, January 14, 2016

Powerball Fever

You'll notice that I'm writing about the January 13, 2016, Powerball drawing, with its estimated $1,586,400,000 jackpot, the day after, when it was announced that three tickets -- one each from California, Florida, and Tennessee -- matched the randomly selected white and red balls.

Did I buy a ticket? Well, duh . . . of course, I did! Did I dream of how I would use the money? You betcha! Am I sad that I didn't win a third of the largest U.S. lottery jackpot in history? Not a bit!!!

I realized before I bought a ticket on Wednesday afternoon that God would continue to provide my needs -- and I have a list of "needs" a mile or two long -- and even some of my wants. (Okay, some of my wants are on that list of needs. Doesn't everyone need a pristine mint copy of the first Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books -- with the dust jackets -- or Action Comics #1? No? Oh, well . . .)

The truth of the matter is that I don't need to be responsible for that kind of money. One-third of that jackpot is $528,800,000. I have the best of intentions to give my tithe to God and invest in His work around the world, but there's a part of me that knows I would blow a lot of the money unwisely, living large and feeding the ego, giving to family and friends without considering the consequences of those gifts. I'm kind of impulsive that way.

Now, the Powerball jackpot has reset to the $40,000,000 base prize. Dividing that by 30 years would give me $1.333 million each year. I could probably still get in trouble with that, but not nearly as much. Let's see, if I buy that Toyota Highlander Hybrid I've been looking at, I wonder if they could modify the left side to put in a sliding door . . .?


No comments:

Post a Comment